Select Page

Disability Access Parking


Contact Information

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 20737
Tuscaloosa, AL 35402

General Inquiries
(205) 464-8233

Business License,
Hunting & Fishing License,
Boat & Manufactured Home Inquiries
(205) 464-8235

General Inquiries

Business License,
Hunting & Fishing License,
Boat & Manufactured Home Inquiries

Fax: (205) 750-0530

Like us on Facebook
Main Office


Tuscaloosa County License Department
2501 7th Street, Suite 100
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401

Hours: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday

View Map
Northport Office


West End of Northport City Hall
(At the corner of Highway 82 and Highway 43)
3500 McFarland Blvd
Northport, AL 35476

Hours: 8:00 am to 4:25 pm, Monday through Friday

View Map
Skyland Office


Spiller Market Center
(Across from Wal-Mart)
1514 Skyland Boulevard East
Tuscaloosa, AL 35405

Hours: 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday

View Map
Vance Office


Vance Annex
In the Vance Town Hall
(Off Tingle Tangle Rd, Near Wallace Tingle Park)
17710 Vance Municipal Dr
Vance, AL 35490

Hours: 8:00 am to Noon & 1:00 pm to 4:25 pm, Monday through Friday
The Vance Office closes for lunch daily from noon until 1:00 p.m.
Driver license and non-driver ID transactions cannot be processed at the Vance Office.

View Map

Disability Access License Plates (including Disability Access Motorcycle Plates) are issued for vehicles owned by (a) persons with a disability which limits or impairs their ability to walk; and (b) organizations that transport persons with a disability which limits or impairs their ability to walk (except that organizations are not eligible for placards).

Temporary Disability Access Placards are issued only to persons with a TEMPORARY disability which limits or impairs their ability to walk. Temporary placards are only valid for up to six months at a time. A new form signed by a doctor will be required each time a temporary placard is issued.

The following criteria are used by a licensed physician to determine a person’s eligibility for Disability Access Parking Privileges:

  1. Cannot walk two hundred feet without stopping to rest
  2. Cannot walk without the use of, or assistance from, a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device
  3. Are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the person’s forced (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm.hg on room air at rest
  4. Use portable oxygen
  5. Have a cardiac condition to the extent that the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV according to standards set by the American Heart Association
  6. Are severely limited in their ability to walk due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition.

In order to purchase a disability access parking license plate, the disabled person’s name must be included on the vehicle’s title and registration, or that person must be leasing the vehicle with an option to buy. If the disabled person’s name is not listed on the title and registration, that person is eligible only for disability access parking placards, not for a disability access parking license plate. A person may purchase as many disability access parking plates as he/she has vehicles in his/her name, but if a person gets any disabled plates, that person can only request one placard.

Disability access parking plates cost the same as regular license plates, and cannot be personalized. There is no charge for disability access parking placards. If a person purchases any disability access parking license plates, that person may also request one windshield placard. However, if a person chooses (or is only eligible for) placards, that person may request two placards.

395018_177744712324860_1956259909_nDisclaimer: The information contained in this website is current as of July 1, 2017. It is not all-inclusive, and is only meant to provide general information regarding licensing and registration requirements in Tuscaloosa County. Please note that changes in the law and directives from the Alabama Department of Revenue can alter, negate or compound the requirements contained herein.