Did You Know?
- The total population of Tuscaloosa County during the 2010 Census was 194,653.
- The University of Alabama had a record 33,602 students for the fall 2012 semester.
- Lake Tuscaloosa holds 40,000,000,000 gallons of water and measures 177 miles of shoreline.
- Tuscaloosa County is 1321 square miles.
- The city of Tuscaloosa was nicknamed the ‘Druid City’ due to the many water oaks planted downtown beginning in the 1840s.
- Stillman College was founded in 1876.
- The Kentuck Festival of the Arts began in 1971 and had grown to become one of the top Arts Festivals in the country.
- In 1997, in recognition of its contributions to and potential in the visual arts, music, dance, and theatre, the Alabama Legislature, by joint resolution, designated Shelton State Community College as the Alabama Community College of the Fine Arts.