All County Commission services are operational. Although the way we deliver services may adjust, we will continue to work together to serve the community. If you have any questions, please call 205-349-3870.
Local, State and Federal Resources
– For information relating to DCH testing and screening, click here.
– To follow Tuscaloosa County Commission on Facebook, click here.
– To follow Tuscaloosa County Commission on Twitter, click here.
– Click here for updates from the Secretary of State and Governor Ivey
– Local Updates: Text COVIDTUSC to 888-777 to receive local text message updates on COVID-19
– State Updates: Alabama Department of Public Health
– Federal Updates: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
9/30/20 – Governor Ivey extends Safer at Home Order
Governor Ivey has announced the Safer at Home Order will be extended through November 8, 2020. Click here to read the full amended order.
8/24/20 – COVID-19 Mega Testing Site
COVID-19 TESTING: Free COVID-19 drive – thru testing will be available to everyone regardless of symptoms starting today and running through September 4th.
Location: The Tuscaloosa Fire Rescue Training and Logistics Center, 3311 Kauloosa Avenue
Hours: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Individuals who wish to be tested are encouraged to register online prior to testing at www.doineedacovid19test.com/
7/29/20 – State Health Officer Dr. Harris and Governor Ivey announce the extension of the Safer at Home Order
Governor Ivey has announced the Safer at Home Order that was set to expire Friday has been extended to August 31, 2020. This includes wearing a face covering when within six feet of a person from another household in an indoor space open to the public, outdoor space where ten or more people are gathered, or a vehicle operated by a transportation service. To read the entire order click here.
7/17/20 – State Health Officer Dr. Harris Amends Safer at Home Order to include Statewide Mask Mandate
In accordance with the latest State Health Order, effective July 16, 2020 at 5:00 pm, persons in an indoor space open to the general public of a county facility will be required to wear a face covering. Let’s all do our part in slowing the spread of COVID-19. You can read the full order by clicking here.
7/6/20 – Masks Ordinance goes into Effect within Tuscaloosa City Limits
In response to questions that have been asked regarding the face covering ordinance that went into effect today, July 6, 2020, within the city limits of Tuscaloosa – the ordinance is applicable only within the city limits of Tuscaloosa and not applicable in other areas of the county. It is also not enforceable by Sheriff’s Deputies or on County Commission properties but face covering use is encouraged when accessing the public areas of County Commission properties. Regarding the County Courthouse which houses state and county offices, it should be noted that face coverings are required in the state courtrooms by court order and encouraged in other public areas of the Courthouse. With the upcoming Primary Runoff Election on Tuesday July 14th, voters are encouraged to wear face coverings and remain in compliance with local ordinances but face coverings are not required to vote. Let’s all continue to do our part to help reduce the COVID-19 spread in our community!
6/30/20 – Safer at Home Order extended through July 31, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Governor Ivey, along with Dr. Harris, has extended the Safer at Home Order through July 31, 2020 at 5:00pm. To view the current order, click here.
5/29/20 – Vance Tag Office To Resume Normal Business Hours On June 1, 2020
Effective Monday, June 1, 2020, the Vance location of the License Commissioner’s Office (Tag Office) will resume normal business hours of Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm. The Vance Office will be closed from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm for lunch.
5/21/20 – Safer at Home Order Amended to include Entertainment Venues, Athletic Team Activities, Educational Institutions, Child Care Facilities, and Camps Effective May 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Dr. Harris, along with Governor Ivey, has amended the Safer at Home order to allow the following businesses or activities to resume on May 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm:
- Entertainment Venues – This includes bowling alleys, arcades, concert venues, theaters, auditoriums, performing centers, tourist attractions, racetracks, and commercial or public playgrounds.
- Permitted team activities – Limited practices can begin with conditioning, skill drills, and similar activities. Competition will be allowed June 15, 2020.
- Educational institutions (effective June 1) – Subject to social-distancing and sanitation rules and guidelines
- Child day care facilities – May operate under social-distancing and sanitation rules and guidelines
- Camps – Youth day and overnight camps shall comply with social-distancing and sanitation rules and guidelines
This order will remain in effect until July 3, 2020. To read the entire order, click here.
5/15/20 – Northport Tag Office Resumes Normal Business Hours Effective Monday, May 18, 2020
Effective Monday, May 18, 2020, the Northport Tag Office, located in Northport City Hall, will resume regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. If you have any questions, please contact the License Commissioner’s Office at 205-464-8233.
5/8/20 – Safer at Home Order amended to Include Restaurants, Fitness Centers, Salons and Barbershops Effective May 11, 2020
State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris, along with Governor Ivey, has amended the current Safer at Home Order to include the opening of restaurants at 50% capacity, fitness centers, salons, and barbershops. this order will remain in effect until 5:00 pm on May 22, 2020. You can read the latest order by clicking here.
5/4/20 – Alabama Department of Revenue Extends the Deadline to Renew Car Tags and Pay Property Tax on Vehicles through June 19, 2020
By order of the Alabama Commissioner of Revenue, the deadline to renew car tags without penalty and pay property taxes on vehicles for March, April, and May has been extended through June 19, 2020. You can read the order by clicking here.
4/28/20 – Mayor Maddox Issues Executive Order effective Effective May 1, 2020
Mayor Walt Maddox has issued an executive order allowing all retail stores to open at 50% capacity and elective medical produces to proceed. The order lays out a three phrase plan for businesses to open within the City of Tuscaloosa. To read the entire order, click here.
4/28/20 – Governor Ivey Issues Safer at Home Order Effective April 30, 2020, at 5:00 P.M.
State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris, along with Governor Ivey, has issued the latest order pertaining to COVID-19. The Safer at Home Order allows all retail stores to open at 50% capacity, elective medical procedures to proceed, and all beaches open. Additionally, the following recommendations have been made for all individuals:
- Minimizing travel outside the home, especially if you are sick
- Wearing face coverings around people from other households
- Washings hands frequently
- Refraining from touching one’s face
- Sneezing or coughing into a tissue or elbow
- Disinfecting frequently used items and surfaces as much as possible
This order shall remain in place until May 15, 2020, at 5:00 pm. To read the entire order, click here.
4/4/20 – License Commissioner’s Office (Tag Office) Will Now Allow Customers to Register New Vehicles by Email or Fax
The License Commissioner’s Office (Tag Office) will now allow customers to register their qualified newly purchased in-state vehicles by emailing all documentation to email@example.com or faxing to (205)750-0530.
Must include the following documents:
- Alabama Application for Certificate or Title
- Bill of Sale
- Proof of Insurance (must be valid)
- Driver License(s) for All Owners Listed on the Title Application (must be valid)
The Tag Office will review documentation and determine if your registration may be processed. If approved, personnel from the Tag Office will contact you and obtain your payment information over the phone. You may pay by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, money order or check. A convenience fee of 2.5% of the registration total plus $0.30 will be charged to pay by credit or debit card. You may mail your check or money order to the License commissioner’s Office at 2501 7th St #100 Tuscaloosa, AL 35401. If mailing a money order or check, the Tag Office must receive payment within 14 days or the registration will be voided. Unless specifically approved, a standard county (63) tag will be issued. If you have any additional questions, please call (205)464-8233.
4/3/20 – Governor Ivey Issues Stay-At-Home Order Effective April 4, 2020
Governor Ivey has issued a stay at home order effective tomorrow, April 4, 2020 at 5:00 P.M. To read the entire order, click here.
4/2/20 – Alabama Department of Revenue Extends Car Tag Renewal Through May 15, 2020
By order of the Alabama commissioner of Revenue, the deadline to renew March & April car tags without penalty has been extended through May 15, 2020. Click here to view the order. If you have any questions, please contact the License Commissioner’s Office at 205-464-8233
3/31/20 – Northport License Commissioner’s Office Hours Change
Due to hours of operation changing at Northport City Hall, the Northport License Commissioner’s Office (Tag Office) will be now be open 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P. M Monday – Friday, effective April 1, 2020.
3/27/20 – Statewide Order Closing Non-Essential Businesses Until April 17, 2020
Governor Ivey has issued a statewide order, effective March 28th at 5:00 P.M., prohibiting non-work related gatherings to 10 people and closing certain non-essential businesses, including entertainment venues, athletic facilities, close-contact services, and retail stores until April 17, 2020. To read the entire order, click here.
3/26/20 – City of Tuscaloosa Issues Executive Order Extending Curfew to 24 Hours
Mayor Maddox has issued an executive order extending the curfew to 24 hours. The areas included in this order are those who reside in the City of Tuscaloosa and Police Jurisdiction. To read the order, click here.
3/25/20 – Real ID (Star ID) Deadline Delayed Until October 1, 2021
Chad Wolf, acting Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, has delayed the deadline for getting your Real ID (Star ID) until October 1, 2021. For more information, click here.
3/23/20 – State Filing Tax Deadline Postponed Until July 15, 2020
Governor Ivey signs a proclamation to postpone filing state income taxes from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020. To read the Governor’s press release, click here.
3/18/20 – Primary Runoff Election Rescheduled To July 14, 2020
Governor Ivey signs a proclamation rescheduling the Primary Runoff Election from March 31st to July 14, 2020. To read the press release from the Secretary of State’s Office, click here.
3/18/20 – Vance Location of Tuscaloosa County License Office Closed Until Further Notice
Due to ongoing concerns related to COVID-19, the Vance location of the Tuscaloosa County License Commissioner’s Office will be closed until further notice. To stay up-to date with License Office news, follow their Facebook page at: facebook.com/TuscaloosaCountyLicense/
3/16/20 – Tuscaloosa County Commission Press Release Regarding COVID-19
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, March 16, 2020 – The Tuscaloosa County Commission has approved an Emergency Declaration in response to the potential spread of COVID-19. The declaration activates the Tuscaloosa County continuity of operations plan and authorizes the county to aid in the protection and preservation of life and property and to render assistance to victims of the disaster. This is a procedural enabling measure in preparation for the period to come.
All services of the Tuscaloosa County government are operational but are subject to change at any time. The Commission encourages everyone to take heed and follow guidance from health officials.Additionally, the County Commission has authorized or shares the following information:
- License Commissioner’s Office:
- Will waive $2.00 mail-in fee for tag renewals for 60 days.
- Alabama Department of Revenue has extended the deadline for obtaining your March motor vehicle registration and paying property taxes on vehicles through April 15, 2020.
- Probate Office:
- Will now offer free viewing and printing of online Probate Records for 60 days.
- For other recording or document related questions, please call 205-464-8207.
- Volunteer Fire Departments (VFD’s):
- Annual funding will be allocated immediately, in cooperation with Tuscaloosa County Fire Protection Association. An additional $2,000 reimbursement will also be provided to all 21 VFD’s. This is an effort to provide needed resources to critical first responders that serve this county.
- Enhanced Courthouse Screening:
- All visitors must enter through the front of the Courthouse. Handicap and bulk delivery access will be available in the alley way between the Courthouse and Sheriff’s Office.
- Civil and Criminal Courts:
- At the direction of the Alabama Supreme Court, all in-person court proceedings will be suspended for 30 days. Persons with questions are advised to contact their attorney or the respective courts.
- To receive local text message updates on COVID-19, please text COVIDTUSC to 888-777.
- To receive local text message updates on COVID-19, please text COVIDTUSC to 888-777.